BLACK AND WHITE CRITIQUE

My first critique is Jenna Mcgovern's photo of the boy fishing off of a pier while the sun is setting. I really enjoy how she took this image as you can see the contrast in the image as the setting sun is sitting in the background but is very prominent and draws to your eye. The capturing of the different textures in this piece is done very well also. From the calm waters tiny waves, the roughness of the cement pier, to the wind swept clouds she has captured everything very clearly and naturally. It seems as though little photoshop was needed as the image looks very raw and natural besides maybe a filter and then transforming it to black and white. I enjoy also how she captured a lens flare, if she meant to or not I do not know, but the lens flare gives the image the look of being older as if taken off of a polaroid or an older camera. The mood this image gives me is very calming. Seeing the boy fishing with the way the water seems to be moving and how the sun is setting with the clouds suggesting there was maybe a breeze, really makes me feel calm and reminds me of when I used to g out to the same pier and just sit there with my feet in the water looking out over the water.

My second critique is Julian Sharkoski's photo of the palm trees. I enjoy the angle she took this photo as it makes you feel like you are laying down on the beach somewhere surrounded by palm trees. Capturing the texture of the trees trunks as well as some in the leaves, you can see the roughness of the trunk and the spindle veins on the leaves. From looking at the sky you can also tell that it was a nice day and probably pretty sunny out.

My last one is Brenna Rademaker's photo of the road view of the side of a street with signs, a bench, some buildings, and some office signs. I enjoy the angle this photo was taken as it seems to be taken from a moving car. The angle seems as though you are looking out the open window of a car mid-day. I also enjoy the signs she captured as it shows a little message about a local vote going on about schools where the signs all say "VOTE YES" and then a caption like  "SAVE OUR TEACHERS" or "SAVE OUR BUS DRIVERS". I also enjoy how long the image is as if you can see the rest in your peripheral vision like the railroad tracks sign along with what street they are passing which gives also a location for the picture for the viewers to acknowledge to give them more context to the image.

Comments